Sunday, August 4, 2013

Vacation Paradise -Day 5 Monday July 29. 2013



Taste of Toulon!

Hola!

Breakfast in my room today .. In all the years cruising this I've never done . It's free ..but I wasn't happy at all. It did come at the designated time though..

That's the price to pay for early all day tours.

Our day began at 8:30am and we sailed into port it was rainy and cold .. With extreme thunder and lightening. Grateful it stopped by time we boarded our bus since the one thing I didn't pack was a jacket. Which I normally do ..oh well.

Today is a tour bus day ..and I'm glad since I didn't sleep well last night . Tired and glad not to walk to much today.

Our tour takes us to the beautiful city of Marseilles and I take plenty of pictures of the famed seaside town. The city is known as the center of cultural activity .. With all it's recent museums .



The one down side is many shops are closed on Monday .. Who knew?

We found a lovely spot (which has a sigh for el bano.. Ok now it's France..So it's Toilettes) but it was for patrons only .. So we sat..

We had coffee that was so rich no milk or creama needed...along with the chocolate croissant ..the perfect mid morning snack.


Hopefully I can post these pics to the blog at some point as the mountains of Marseilles are simply breathtaking !

More scenery up the hilltop to the top of the higher point of Marseilles which sits a gold statue to take more picture of the scenery and the Mediterranean . :)

Loads of stairs to walk for 1/2 hour visit so I took a pass . Like for real? Seriously?

Then it's more scenic driving to the city of Cassis another sea side town. To which we boarded what they called a train ..but what looked like a trolley .. think Disney World.

Then we did lunch on our own ..

Again we are looking for those spots with Toilettes ..LOL

We find a hotel and eat outside .. I hate eating outdoors but as they say ..."when in Rome.." So we sat outside and I had the best Moule (Mussels ) y Frits ( fries) and chocolate mousse for dessert.



We ordered the local Rosé ..which they are known for and it's not a blend of red and white that creates the Rosé ..it's the length of time the grapes grow .

So we see a sign for the Toleittes.. And the first experience of a public toilet .. One that is self cleaning and auto locks behind you ..from the inside . You must press the button to eject . It was cool .. Except the floors and everything is completely wet .. Make sure you are cautious if you ever find yourself in one s it. Can be slippery.

On the outside when it's cleaning the button is yellow , green when you can go in , and red when occupied .

I've loved my first stop and enjoyed both Marseilles and Caesis.

Time has flown by today and didn't have time for much shopping bur the dollar has got me not wanting to purchase anything anyway.

We are heading back on the train now to board the bus back to the ship .

It's all aboard at 5pm..

Tonight is the Captains gala where it u care you can take pics with the captain. It was exciting the first time .
Now.. Not so much . I'm skipping it . It is the first formal dress night..

There's an event for the loyalty reward program members which is always Interesting then dinner (which is formal tonight ..) at 9:30..

It turns out the day was beautiful and the weather excellent! 80 maybe ? Breezy and dry
Will continue later ...

Things I learned today .. Barcelona and France drive on the same side of the road as we do.
Nice, Monaco and Cannes and one other town make up the French Rivera .. Does any of my readers know the name of the other town?

This is the land of small cars..

Next stop Monacco and Monte Carlo!

Ciao!


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: