Monday, April 18, 2011

Princess for a Day....

So I missed Spa Week....just in case you didn't know, one of the best spa deals in the city is Spa Week. For $50 you can get an array of treatments at some great spas in the city.

Here's the link http://www.spaweek.com

Spa Week happens in April and October each year. You will need to use your email address or create one in order to log in. You can also use your zip code too. The good news..Spa Week is held across the Country so depending on where you live you may be able to book an appointment in your own city or when traveling!

I discovered day spas many years ago when I was looking for something to do for my mom's 70th birthday. At that time, day spas were high priced in Manhattan, not too many in the outer boroughs so we went to this fab spot(of course I don't remember the name but alas it's out of business anyway) on 5th Avenue and 53rd Street, and I treated my mom like the Pampered Princess she is :) We spent the day...had lunch...we did facials, massages, mani/pedi's, and even hair. (OK so mom was not impressed with the hair stylist...and neither was I).

After that day, I realized I loved pampering me and made a vow to myself that while it's great for a man to spoil and pamper me - I like doing it for me! So I set my sights on learning some basics about the spa industry...

Like...there are Day Spas and Spa Vacations...as I continue blogging I'll be discussing the benefits and pitfalls of both.

So be a Princess for a Day! Check out Spa Week when it rolls around again...or check the list of Day Spas and call and ask if they have any extended promotions!

Some basics when going to Day Spas:

1. If participating in Spa Week and because the the price of the treatments, you'll
usually need to book early.

2. Be aware that the specials only include the service. Tipping is required. There
will be someone who doesn't believe this, however having worked in service
industries, it is a sign of excellent or bad service. Ok perhaps not
required..but expected. The tipping standard for the spa industry is 15-20% of
the bill. Of course this is dictated by the area of the country you live in as
well as the service. Here's some info for tipping:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2152713_tip-spa-services.html

3. There is usually a cancellation fee involved if you fail to call and cancel! The
standard is you can call up to 24 hours in advance to cancel. Make sure to check
with the individual spa however as cancellation fees can range and be of
significant cost to you.

4. When making an appointment decide if gender matters. I truly don't care if my
massage is given to me by a man or woman. Although I do prefer women...most spas
will ask this question and in case the don't - decide when making your
appointment. It really is about what you feel comfortable with. I can't say that
men automatically give better massages - I've had some men and women who were
both fab!

5. Arrive 15-20 minutes earlier than your appointment. The reason is simply - there
is paperwork to fill out ( no spa wants liability issues on their hands so they
have you fill out a questionnaire for health related issues) and you need time
to change.

More next time....

No comments: