Friday, April 10, 2015

Day 1: Confusion and Chaos...

Welcome to Quantum! Confusion and Chaos...

Had a Social Media break for a few days.. Internet package for 2 days was cheap so I purchased it...here's my trip so far ! Enjoy ! Not love like I wanted it but ..

Pre Dawn Day 1

Hi all! It's been a minute since I posted a travel blog .. At some point I must go back and post the DR trip .. But right now...

Up all night trying to get it together to feel excited . A tad bit nervous due to my injury but I'm claiming a safe relaxing journey . It's been rough the past several months and I needed some heat and relaxation.

I was ready on time and my ride picked us up at 10:00am . Made a pit stop for a case of water since the only thing they sell is Evian which I hate ! And we are on our way ! Shout out to Steve for being gracious enough ( well he did get paid) to roll up with the Escalade! 😄

Made it to the pier in CapeLiberty NJ at noon ahead of our scheduled time at 12:45pm .

You now have assigned times when you check in .. I suppose to control the crowds and wait times for those at the pier.

The pier is organized chaos. It's an industrial pier so it's not specifically designed for cruise travel .Your luggage is taken at the pier and you enter directly in the terminal and find someone with a blue shirt to check you in . This was different and a joy not to have to worry about did my flight make it to the airport and then a bus ride to any of the ports in Florida .

Portability is the name of the game . Gone are the desks and the making of sea pass cards at check in . They scan your passport take your picture and off you go ! Though security and into a long line to get on the ship ! You receive your stateroom key in an envelope on your door . Sealed . Not as bad as it sounds . Blogs have been discussing this at length and I say it's no big deal as I thought it would be .

Technology on this ship is innovative and sea pass cards are now used to turn on/off everything in your room. Energy Saving for sure .

It's bizarre at night when you forget you need you sea pass in the wall to turn the latch switch on and it's pitch black or try going to the bathroom without it ! LOL

We also have WOW bands as they are called to scan everything ..your card info is attached to it and it opens doors on the ship and your stateroom. Way cool...

Once on the ship, we went straight to shore excursions to buy Universal tickets ! Well actually when you enter the ship you are directly in front of the shore excursions . How's that for marketing ?!

Then the quest for food! The typical lunch experience in the Windjammer was crazy . Couldn't find a seat to save our lives and walked around like 3 times! Ended up in Jamie Oliver's restaurant ..( for those of you who watch the Food Network ) Paid for lunch ..

Rooms should be ready now .. Muster drill in an hour...

On this ship Muster drills no longer have you go line up outside by your assigned station . We were in one of the restaurants as they scan your WOW band as they call it .. and make sure you are accounted for .

It's cold on the ship .. windy outside.. and cold .. and did I say cold. ? Got my coat on ...

I made up my own dessert at lunch thinking there was a brownie cheesecake - you know the kind that Junior's in Brooklyn makes ? Out comes a lemon cheesecake and a chocolate warm brownie .. Had the nerve to eat both ! Well some of both. Good news is since we only paid a cover charge you can ask for what you want !

I called my mom and she's so cute asking if we are there yet .. Lol

Muster drill time and I did good ! Walked down 5 flights of stairs without my cane! Woo hoo!
I'm being extra careful obviously ...

We met up with our Facebook group at the outside bar . It was cold and coats were necessary . I swear I know I mentioned it ..several times LOL.

I can't say I like leaving from NYC in April in the cold ! But the best view ever was crossing under the Verazanno Bridge !

I got my pics and decided I need warmth! Headed inside to find a bar ..there's no shortage of those on the ship 😁

The luggage is finally at our cabin and we have sea pass cards and a wrist band but how on earth do you open the door?

Before I even get to unpack we are off to go see the very off off off off Broadway version of Momma Mia for 2.5 hrs !
It was excellent !

I am soooo confused ..the ship is beautiful and large and tight . Too many things crammed in .. Wandering looking for the cabin. Everyone who's been on a cruise knows the first night or two you wander trying to find your cabin ( or any night after too much libations! )

Atfer the show - dinner at one of the free restaurants.. Confusion and chaos with this ... The lines the first night were awful and wished I'd brought my cane down to dinner but now too lazy to go all the way back to the room to get it . The Dymanic Dining concept is a bust .

During dinner my sister says she took her first cruise in 1977 back when you could get on the ship and have visitors before you set sail. Almost like a Bon Voyage party. I remember seeing her off once . Perhaps this is why I like cruising . My mom does too . Back then everyone had one job; cabin stewards were cabin stewards, waiters were waiters and we didn't see them dancing in the parade ...running to clean your table .. They have several jobs now...(and we all know how hard they work - but now...)

One interesting note is this trip is prepping for China .. Many of the staff are Asian and they are in training ...I've gotten annoyed a few times but remember they have to do this all over again while smiling next week for a new group of folks . I do see the level of customer service training necessary though .

After dinner we attempt to take care of our reservations for dinner which are screwed up after 2 hours online making them ... Smh . Need to handle with the restaurant ...

So we head to my favorite spot on RC ships .. Boleros .. Spanish nightclub atmosphere with a live band ... Order the drink package and spent $400 in one shot .. Unlimited and includes water and the darn premium drinks are $12 a pop . Not for the faint of heart .

After the best Fresh coconut mojito.. I'm good ! With all the drama I still have to do exercises before I go to bed and ice my knee .

Knee is holding up quite well . God is amazing .

Off to sleep .... Will add pics to the blog later ..

Ciao!

No comments: